Medical Marijuana For Anxiety: Everything You Need to Know
According to Canada.ca, In 2013, an estimated 3 million Canadians (11.6%) aged 18 years or older reported that they had a mood and/or anxiety disorder.
Anxiety is one of the most common conditions worldwide. Daily stress, heavy workload, sleep deprivation, and genetics all contribute to it. If left unaddressed, this disorder can take a toll on your health, affecting both your personal and professional life.
Various treatment options exist, but not all of them work. In addition, most prescription drugs carry potential side effects. Nausea, weight gain, blurry vision, fatigue, and depression are just a few to mention.
Luckily, there are other ways to tackle this condition and restore your mental well-being. Marijuana for anxiety, for example, has emerged as a safe, natural treatment option for anxiety disorders.
Interested to learn more? Here’s what you should know about medical marijuana and anxiety so you can make an informed decision.
Why Medical Marijuana for Anxiety?
Just this past year, the Canadian government legalized the medical and recreational use of marijuana. This has encouraged more research on the potential health benefits linked to this plant.
The more we have studied marijuana, the more we have come to understand and reveal its extensive healing and therapeutic properties.
According to a recent review, this herb has shown to exhibit a large range of healing effects on the following mental conditions:
1. Depression: A common and serious prolonged medical condition that negatively impacts one’s feelings, emotions, mood, motivation, behavior, and thoughts. This condition can be very severe and dangerous as thoughts of suicide and self-harm may develop.
2. Anxiety: A feeling of inner turmoil. This feeling warns us of dangers and can often motivate us, meaning it can be helpful at times. However, if this feeling persists and occurs quite often, it can develop into a very serious and dangerous disorder.
3. Psychosis: A mental illness where the sufferer often loses contact with external reality. There is a range of symptoms like depression, anxiety, lack of concentration, delusions, hallucinations, few gestures and lack of interest in others just to name a few.
4. Neurodegenerative diseases: A general term for a number of disorders that affect neurons in the brain. Disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are just a couple of examples. About 280,000 Canadians in Ontario alone suffer from some sort of neurodegenerative disease.
5. Fibromyalgia symptom: A complex disorder causing chronic pain in the body’s muscle and soft tissue. This is a long-term condition that includes other symptoms such as problems with mood and memory, sleep issues, fatigue, dizziness, depression, and anxiety. There are many other symptoms and discomforts that a sufferer may experience. As many as 1.5 million Canadians may be suffering from Fibromyalgia in 2019.
This super plant may be a viable and natural treatment option for millions of Canadians enduring emotional, mental and physical pain.
What are the Links between Marijuana and Anxiety?
As Marijuana continues to grow in popularity, researchers are focusing on the medical properties of this marijuana. Recent studies confirm that medical marijuana may help prevent and treat depression, stress, and anxiety, a few conditions that affect countless Canadians.
Apart from its proven effectiveness against depression, stress and anxiety disorders, it also has none of the side effects associated with traditional prescription medications. This is a huge bonus!
Researchers have traced these benefits to CBD and THC, its main active compounds.
In a study, subjects who used cannabis experienced a 58 percent reduction in anxiety and stress. Just two puffs were enough to produce results. Surprisingly, women showed greater improvements in anxiety symptoms than men.
Marijuana has anti-anxiolytic properties that are largely due to CBD, a natural key compound. CBD may increase the levels of 2-AG, an endocannabinoid that helps regulate your mood.
Another theory is that THC (another key compound in cannabis) binds to certain cannabinoid receptors in the brain, which stimulates the release of serotonin, dopamine, and other “feel good” chemicals, improving mood and mental well-being.
So far, there are plenty of reasons to start looking into this natural approach to combat these debilitating and life-altering conditions!
Turn That Frown Upside Down
Depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders can often have a highly adverse impact on our personal and professional life. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of Canadians suffer from these life-altering obstacles daily. While some receive treatment in the form of prescription medication with potentially endless side effects, a very large amount of our countrymen endure day to day life without any sort of treatment.
Good news! Gone are the days when Canadians had little options to receive this proven natural treatment as opposed to prescription medications. With proper guidance, medical Marijuana may be the right choice for you.
Remember, without proper treatment, anxiety can develop into a full-blown disorder. Let us help you get your overall health back on track. You have suffered enough!